Using a DHCP server for two subnets

Matt Fahrner Matt.Fahrner at coat.com
Tue Jun 20 15:11:53 UTC 2006

Two subnets sharing the same wire and interface on the DHCP server, or
two separate wires (LANs) and two separate interfaces on the DHCP server?

We've done both.

			- Matt

Elizabeth.Brosch at thomson.com wrote:
> Has anyone successfully used one DHCP to serve hosts on two subnets?
>

> If anyone can share their dhcpd.conf syntax, I would appreciate.  I
> think I have it correct because the DHCP server will issue:
>

> dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER………………………………..
>
> dhcpd: DHCPOFFER……………………………………
>
> dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST………………………………..
> dhcpd: DHCPACK………………………………………..
>

> But then I immediately receive:
>

> in.tftpd[4254]: RRQ from 10.225.248.1 filename pxelinux.0
>
> in.tftpd[4254]: tftpd: read: Connection refused
>

> I am not sure if it is a dhcpd.conf configuration problem or not.  My
> switch has “port fast” enabled.  I can Kickstart servers with no problem
> but when I introduce a second subnet into my dhcpd, tftp fails.
>

> How anyone ever seen this?
>

> I had tried this a few months ago but was never able to get around it
> but I have a need to revisit this now and get it working.
>

> Thanks.
>

> Liz Brosch
>
> TSH System Services
>
> Philadelphia, PA  19104
>
> office:  (215) 823-6144
>
> cell:     (267) 784-9166

Matt Fahrner                                    2 South Park St.
Chief Systems Architect                         Willis House
Burlington Coat Factory Warehouse               Lebanon, N.H.  03766
Tel: (603) 448-4100 x5150                       USA
Fax: (603) 443-6190                             Matt.Fahrner at COAT.COM