Automatically installing 32-bit libraries on 64-bit machine? (RHEL3)

Drew Leske dleske at uvic.ca
Tue Jun 27 00:01:30 UTC 2006

Thanks Colin.  I had noticed that some libraries are installed for both, but
some definitely are not.  One specific example is libGLU, provided by the
XFree86-Mesa-libGLU package.

[root]# rpm -q glibc --queryformat "%{NAME} %{VERSION} %{RELEASE} %{ARCH}\n"
glibc 2.3.2 95.39 i686
glibc 2.3.2 95.39 x86_64
[root]# rpm -q XFree86-Mesa-libGLU --queryformat "%{NAME} %{VERSION}
%{RELEASE} %{ARCH}\n"
XFree86-Mesa-libGLU 4.3.0 98.EL x86_64

Believe it or not our users require X libraries to run their numerical
analysis (on non-interactive machines).  I wonder if only the 64-bit libGLU
is provided because nobody saw a need to have both 32-bit and 64-bit
versions of X available.

Can you suggest a way around this?  At this point it looks like I'll have to
take care of this manually or script up my own solution--if the two flavours
can even co-exist for some of these packages.

Thanks,
Drew.

--
Drew Leske :: Systems Group/Unix, Computing Services, University of Victoria
   dleske at uvic.ca / +1250 472 5055 (office) / +1250 588 4311 (cel)