Extracting variables from within ks.cfg, interpreted from command-line

Dan Trainor dan at id-confirm.com
Mon Mar 20 23:36:08 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Monday 20 March 2006 15:05, Dan Trainor wrote:
>> What kind of "bad luck" have you found?  I'm still hot after this one,
>> and it's really bothering me.
>>
>> Bash is available to me in %pre, yes?  This stuff would even work in sh,
>> as far as my testing shows.
>>
>> %pre does get parsed before my network info is used with the 'network'
>> directive in my kickstart file, right?
>
> So what I ended up doing was using python.  Python is there because anaconda
> uses it.  %pre can use the network as supplied on how to get the ks file or
> the content itself.  Not necessarily the same network info supplied in the
> 'network' section as that is used for the installed system, not for the
> installer.  I personally do PXE booting and get the ks config file from a
> webserver, so the environment already has network going.  I pull down a pre
> script from a webserver (use IP as DNS does not work in install env), then
> execute the python prescript to parse /proc/cmdline for arguments that will
> lead to stub files getting created.  Later in the kickstart script those stub
> files are included for the various things.
>
> Here is a really ugly early version of this script.  I can't find the latest
> one I was responsible for, but here ya go:
>
> http://geek.j2solutions.net/stuff/autokickrhel4.py

Hello, Jesse -

Alright, you're going about the same route as I am - sorta.

As much as I'd like to boot off of the network, that's not an option in
this particular case.

Since this is not working, I'm just going to forget the idea and make a
really, really ugly hack to establish all of this in %post, and make it
work as the machine boots the next time.  Ultimately that's all I need.

I really appreciate all the input that you all have given.  Although
I've not figured out how to do what I originally wanted, I learned a lot
of other things.

Thanks again for all your time
-dant