No network drivers for doing kickstart

Phil Bettinson phb at llgc.org.uk
Tue Mar 21 15:04:13 UTC 2006

Hello again,

I have also experienced a similar problem, this seems to be with a
problem (for me at least) with the tg3 driver with Redhat As 3 update 6,
a problem we didn't have (and don't have) if we just use Redhat AS 3
(with no updates). This seems to be more of a problem with the vmlinuz
and the initrd for this release. As we didn't want ot re-build these, we
went back to using RedHat AS 3, which works.

I note, however that in RedHat AS 3 update 7, there has been an update
to this driver. I'm busy downloading the Isos so I can give it a go with
that, and see if it works.

Phil (again)

Phil Bettinson wrote:
> Morning,
>
> Your issue might possibly be because of the switch that the machines are
> connected too. Some (newer?) switches do some negotiations and speed
> tests before clearing the port for use, this can cause the DHCP to time
> out (as the network request doesn't get further than the port). I've had
> this problem on a few machines here, but our network engineer simply
> removed or decreased the timing for the port (sorry for the vague
> answer, but I havn't seen the operation myself yet), and that seemed to
> solve the problem
>
> Hope that Helps,
>
> Phil
>
> Elizabeth.Brosch at thomson.com wrote:
>
>> Thanks for reply.  I don't know what my issue is but I am unable to get
>> past it.
>> Liz Brosch
>> TSH System Services
>> Philadelphia, PA  19104
>> office:  (215) 386-0100 x1144
>> cell:     (267) 784-9166

			Phil Bettinson

Swyddog Gweinyddu Systemau	Systems Administrator

Isadran Cyfrifiaduron        	Computer Section
Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru    National Library of Wales
Aberystwyth, 			Aberystwyth
Ceredigion, 			Ceredigion
SY23 3BU			SY23 3BU

Ffôn / Phone: 01970 632867    	Ffacs / Fax: 01970 615709
EBost / Email: phb at llgc.org.uk  We / Web: http://www.llgc.org.uk