RHEL 3 and "nostorage"?

Keegan, Gordon Gordon.Keegan at FMR.COM
Tue Mar 21 22:03:40 UTC 2006

I don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for, but another RHEL 4
install directive is "latefcload" which tells anaconda to scan any Fibre
devices last, which insures that any local scsi disks are the first in
the list (ie. /dev/sda is a local scsi device, not a San lun, if both
are present.)  It's been back-ported to RHEL 3 and is included in U6.
If you need to make San storage completely invisible during the install,
one option is to unroll the install media and in the initrd.img file in
/modules/pcitable file, change any occurrences of "qla2xxx" to "ignore"
(ie. qla2100, qla2200, qla2300...)  or whatever the device is for your
HBA's.  It's kind of a pain, but should prevent them from being seen at
all during the initial boot/install, but will load the appropriate
drivers for the running OS during the install.

Gordon

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Long [mailto:briandlong at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 8:49 AM
To: kickstart-list at redhat.com
Subject: RHEL 3 and "nostorage"?

On my RHEL 4 kickstarts, I specify nostorage on the command line and
"device scsi cciss" in ks.cfg.  This ensures no SAN-connected devices
will be seen by Anaconda and get accidentally overwritten.  Has anyone
duplicated this behavior on RHEL 3?  I looked at Anaconda source for U5
and U6 and nostorage is not present.  I believe the only similar option
would be "noprobe" and then specify device eth and scsi in ks.cfg.  I'm
not very familiar with noprobe; will the kickstart go interactive for
other options as well?  We already specify the monitor in ks.cfg, so
that should be fine.

Thanks for any pointers on how to emulate nostorage in RHEL 3.

/Brian/