Autostep not working?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon May 15 18:22:48 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-15 at 11:03 -0600, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 10:51 -0600, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> >
> >> Is it my imagination, or does "autostep" not work with "text"
> >> (but only "graphical")?
> >>
> > autostep has always been graphical only (and I believe documented as
> > such).  Making it otherwise is somewhere between difficult and
> > impossible
>
> Why?  All it does is continue with the supplies values without waiting
> for the user to enter new values...  that's orthogonal to using a GUI or
> a simple ASCII interface...

Because there's no way to tell the underlying toolkit "press this button
now" with the text-mode interface.

But in the case you're trying to achieve, why do you even need or want
autostep?  Really... it's handy for debugging that screens "look" right
(especially in different languages), but for actual automated installs,
what are you gaining by having steps that take no time pop up and wait
on the screen?

Jeremy