Kickstart on RHEL AS4

Neerad Niksun neeradm at in.niksun.com
Fri May 5 21:46:41 UTC 2006

Hi,

I am trying to build a kickstart CD ROM for RHEL 4.0 which is failing. I did make the RHEL 3.0 kickstart CDROM  and it worked just fine.

RHEL 3.0 works fine with certain set of rpms.

RHEL 4.0 fails after the following series of activties are over succesfully.

1) boot succesfuly from the custom CD
2) parse ks.cfg
3) x-server comes up alright
4) check package dependency.
5) parse comps.xml correctly
6) starts installation - partitions the disck according to the partitions specified in the ks.cfg
7) then shows message "transferring install image to the disk" which gets past succesfully
8) starts x-server again comes up okay.

And then the message says "install terminated abnormally"

No OTHER message to work on further.

I have tried following in ks.cfg

1) text install,
2) selinux forced
3) selinux disabled
4) skipx
5) packages --ignoremissing

Each time it breaks exactly at the same point.

 I have even tried now with trimming down the comps.xml file by manually removing the groups and packages that were not required. (initially this gave problems with parsing and installation failed subsequently) but now the the parsing seems okay.
This was probably because of the empty groups in comps.xml.

CAN anybody help? I am seriously getting frustrated since , working on it for quite some time with different combinations of packages , ks.cfs commands etc.

Thanks

Neeard