LVM problem after kickstart install on RHEL4

Ajitabh Pandey Ajitabh.Pandey at bds.tv
Fri May 5 10:28:50 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 10:28 +0100, Ajitabh Pandey wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 12:26 -0500, Dean Troyer wrote:
> > On 5/4/06, Ajitabh Pandey <Ajitabh.Pandey at bds.tv> wrote:
> > > <kickstart>
> > > clearpart --all --initlabel
> > > # The following is the partition information
> > > part /boot --fstype ext3 --size=2000 --ondisk=cciss/c0d0 --asprimary
> > > part / --fstype ext3 --size=70000 --ondisk=cciss/c0d0 --asprimary
> >
> > The significant difference I see is that your root partition is not in
> > LVM.  The only non-LVM partition I have is /boot.  I think that makes
> > a difference to what is included in your initrd image.  You may have
> > to force the LVM modules to be included.

OK I can confirm that once I moved the root partition to LVM, it worked
like a charm. Commented out the:

# part / --fstype ext3 --size=70000 --ondisk=cciss/c0d0 --asprimary

and added

logvol / --fstype ext3 --name=lv_root --vgname=vg_root --size=70000

So unless the root (/) itself is a part of the LVM then the LVM
partitions are not recognized after a reboot.

But I always tend to keep the root (/) outside of LVM when doing a
manual install and it has worked with RHEL 3 and 4, so can we say that
this is a bug?

And yes if someone can point out the work around of keeping root outside
the LVM and other LVMs still work then I will be glad.

Regards.
--
Ajitabh Pandey| Linux Systems Administrator
bds - Broadcasting Dataservices Ltd

This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Broadcasting Dataservices. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender