Autostep not working?

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Mon May 15 17:03:27 UTC 2006

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 10:51 -0600, Philip Prindeville wrote:
>
>> Is it my imagination, or does "autostep" not work with "text"
>> (but only "graphical")?
>>

> autostep has always been graphical only (and I believe documented as
> such).  Making it otherwise is somewhere between difficult and
> impossible
>
> Jeremy

Why?  All it does is continue with the supplies values without waiting
for the user to enter new values...  that's orthogonal to using a GUI or
a simple ASCII interface...

Besides, not everything has a head or graphics capability.  We have some
industrial PC's we use as Wifi routers and as VoIP call managers, and they
either run in text/VGA mode (with no X server), or else their BIOS
uses a serial port as the console (a la Sun).

Using text mode autostep would be extremely handy on such machines.

-Philip

-Philip