Crashing on missing network adapters

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Wed May 17 17:20:34 UTC 2006

Ajitabh Pandey wrote:

>On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 10:00 -0600, Philip Prindeville wrote:
>

>>Alain TAUCH wrote:
>>

>>>On Wed, 17 May 2006 09:35:43 +0100
>>>Alan Barrow [Alan] wrote:
>>>
>>>[...]
>>>

><snipped...>
>

>>>But I agree with Philip, it could be nice to have the missing adapters
>>>information just dropped, instead of exiting the installation process.
>>>

>>I'm not saying drop it...  I'm saying store it away so that it's there
>>when the NIC's are present...
>>

><snipped...>
>
>Well you can write the NIC configuration scripts in the %post section
>that's what I do sometime when I am not sure about the networking side.
>I just create something like this:
>
>%post
>
>cat >/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 <<__EOF__

>__EOF__
>
>ofcourse actual parameters instead of ... :-)
>
>That's the way I create NIC bonding through kickstart.
>
>Regards.

The problem, of course, is that it's more complicated than that.  There are
hard-links that need to be created in /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/
and /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles (etc).

Since the functionality is already in the "network" command, let's get it to
work properly, rather than adding clutter in the form of work-arounds.

We could add "--optional" to the network command, to mean that we don't
really care if the hardware is present or not... just go ahead and
config the
parameters anyway.

-Philip