Newbie problem with kickstart post section

Neerad Niksun neeradm at in.niksun.com
Tue May 23 17:25:06 UTC 2006

Hey! , nothing seems wrong with your env ;)

This is the way is it suppose to wrok.

This is how you should understand.

All the partitioning/installation and stuff you did while installation went
into /mnt/sysimage. This does not come into effect until you reboot the
system.

mean while you have a ristricted env to do some common stuff while
/mnt/sysimage just act as a normal directory.

Okay so if you wanna make changes to something , those should go into
/mnt/sysimage ... respective files.

Let me give you an example.

I needed to create a user in my post section. So this is what i did.

cp -f /mnt/sysimage/etc/passwd /etc/passwd
cp -f /mnt/sysimage/etc/group /etc/group
cp -f /mnt/sysimage/etc/shadow /etc/shadow
/mnt/sysimage/usr/sbin/useradd <user_name>  -d <usr_home_path> -s
/bin/bash -g <gorup> -G <group_member>, <group_member>.....
cp -f /etc/passwd /mnt/sysimage/etc/passwd
cp -f /etc/group /mnt/sysimage/etc/group
cp -f /etc/shadow /mnt/sysimage/etc/shadow

Also if you want to install packages there are two ways.

1) Include it in comps.xml and hdlist
2) In post section as described under.

mkdir /tmp/cd
mount /tmp/cdrom /tmp/cd

/mnt/sysimage/bin/rpm -i /tmp/cdrom /tmp/cd/<your_package_name>

Hope this helps.

Neerad Mittal
Lead Software Engineer