Kickstarting an upgrade from RHEL3 to RHEL4...

Phil Bettinson phb at llgc.org.uk
Wed Nov 29 10:59:23 UTC 2006

Binand Sethumadhavan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am assuming my current atftp/dhcp/apache installation is sufficient
> to upgrade from RHEL3 to RHEL4 over the network. But I still haven't
> figured out how the kickstart file should look like. I at the moment
> have this:
>
> upgrade
> lang en_US
> langsupport --default en_US en_US
> keyboard us
> mouse none --device null
> skipx
> firewall --disabled
> url --url http://10.1.5.243/rhel4/
> reboot
>
> Is that all that is needed? The servers are in a remote datacenter
> with no chance of getting a console hooked, so I need to get this
> right the first time I try it. :(

Rather you than me!

Is there not even the chance of a serial console? cause you can
kick-start happily over that!

I'm not sure if I'd want to do a kickstart upgrade without access to at
least one terminal!

My advice would be to set one up locally, test it, then change the
details and try the ones in the datacenter.

Thanks,

Phil

			Phil Bettinson

BEng, RHCT 			Beng, RHCT
Swyddog Gweinyddu Systemau	Systems Administrator

Isadran Cyfrifiaduron        	Computer Section
Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru    National Library of Wales
Aberystwyth, 			Aberystwyth
Ceredigion, 			Ceredigion
SY23 3BU			SY23 3BU

Ffôn / Phone: 01970 632XXX    	Ffacs / Fax: 01970 615XXX
EBost / Email: NOSPAM at llgc.org.uk  We / Web: http://www.llgc.org.uk