pump told us: No DHCP reply received

Shabazian, Chip Chip.Shabazian at bankofamerica.com
Mon Nov 27 21:21:38 UTC 2006

What version of RHEL are you trying to install?

I believe you have two different problems here.  The first is DHCP
related, the second is with your RPM's.  Isolate one problem at a time
and life will be much easier.

I'm not as familiar with the Alcatel switch, I'm a Cisco guy, but the
problem you are describing regarding DHCP sounds like the portfast issue
that we always see on this list.  Basically, the NIC cycles itself 3
different times during a build.  The first time is during pxeboot.
After the pxe information is sent, the nic is recycled and must
re-negotiate with the switch.  If portfast is not enabled, then the
request times out before spanning tree allows the NIC to begin
communications.

Steps you can take include assigning the IP on the boot: line instead of
via DHCP, and using ethtool on the boot: line like this:

ksdevice=eth0 eth0_ethtool="autoneg=off speed=100 duplex=full"

or

ksdevice=eth0 eth0_ethtool="speed=1000 autoneg=on duplex=full"

Chip