/etc/shadow

Binand Sethumadhavan binand at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 15:54:38 UTC 2006

On 03/10/06, Bartel, Zack <Zack.Bartel at tectura.com> wrote:
> I would like to 2nd that as well. I am also trying to do get a minimal
> install disc with the fewest packages possible. I currently have it down
> to around 150 as well so maybe we can compare notes.

Well, my current count is 194. I'd love to see it down further, but I
really can't see where I can cut packages any more :( I'm not building
a CD - my installs are all over PXE/HTTP, so I probably have some more
leeway than you do. My install size is now:

/dev/cciss/c0d0p2     2.0G  114M  1.8G   6% /
/dev/cciss/c0d0p1      62M   14M   45M  24% /boot
/dev/cciss/c0d0p3     2.0G  441M  1.5G  24% /usr

My biggest problem at the moment is sendmail - which pulls in a lot of
dependencies, like m4/make etc. I'd like to have the ability for cron
jobs and the like to be able to send emails, but having a full-fledged
sendmail installation sounds like an overkill. Ideally, I just need a
program with a /usr/sbin/sendmail binary (for mutt, which is my
preferred command-line mail client for use in cron jobs and scripts)
that implements an SMTP client. I am looking at some small programs at
the moment.

My second problem is gpm - not needed on headless servers, but
vim-enhanced pulls it in (I like to see syntax highlighting in my
httpd.conf and the like :)

comps.xml is here:

http://pastebin.com/799417

The rpm -qa --last output on the server is here:

http://pastebin.com/799429

Binand