error handling in %post

Phil Bettinson phb at llgc.org.uk
Fri Sep 1 09:51:38 UTC 2006

Jeremy Lyon wrote:

> On 8/31/06, *Ed Brown* <ebrown at lanl.gov <mailto:ebrown at lanl.gov>> wrote:
>
>     A 'debug mode' or error-handling framework
>     for %pre and %post scripts like I'm suggesting, would allow for far
>     easier development, and a more robust recovery capability, and allow
>     %post to be more fully utilized for what is was intended for, instead
>     of resorting to post-post scripts.
>

> How would you build such a framework though?
Hi,

Do we really have to go as far as a full framework? perhaps some handy
interim would be better?

It might be possible to simply run a shell, and connect it's output to a
TTY, as well as it's input. I know that some people on this list already
use that as a method of debugging.

It's not a case of building a framework. It's more simply a a way of
finding a better way to implement the way %post deals with output from
the comamnds that it runs, ideally in a way that can be interracted with
  IF DESIRED, or logged for future reference.

I don't see it as complicated, in theory. However, I'm not an Anaconda
developer, so have no idea what the code is like. Perhaps it might be a
good idea to go dig out the code, and find out whether or not there is a
Coding reason why this won't work.

It just seems odd to me that the Anaconda guys hadn't already thought of
it. Perhaps it's a limitation/feature of the way Anaconda was built to
work. Remember, it doesn't just do kickstart, it's also the same engine
used to install machines manually.

Phil
			Phil Bettinson

BEng, RHCT 			Beng, RHCT
Swyddog Gweinyddu Systemau	Systems Administrator

Isadran Cyfrifiaduron        	Computer Section
Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru    National Library of Wales
Aberystwyth, 			Aberystwyth
Ceredigion, 			Ceredigion
SY23 3BU			SY23 3BU

Ffôn / Phone: 01970 63XXX7    	Ffacs / Fax: 01970 61XXX9
EBost / Email: phb at llgc.org..XXX.uk  We / Web: http://www.llgc.org.XXX.uk