Specifying values dynamically using pre section

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed Sep 6 13:55:35 UTC 2006

Philip Rowlands wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Ajitabh Pandey wrote:
>
>> I have all the RPMS on an HTTP server and using the following line I
>> start my kickstart. Somce servers are 32-bit and some are 64-bit.
>>
>> url --url http://debian-management-server/rhel/rhel4/amd-64/
>>
>> At present I have to manually change the above URL in my base
>> kickstart file if I have to install on a 32-bit machine. Like, I use
>>
>> url --url http://debian-management-server/rhel/rhel4/i386/
>>
>> I am sure there is a dynamic way of specifying such differences in
>> the form of variables in the pre section of the kickstart. If yes,
>> can someone give some examples. This will also help me in setting up
>> the hostname, ip-address and so on dynamically.
>
> Where does your kickstart file live? You could use %pre, but another
> approach would be to generate the file dynamically with a CGI script,
> served via HTTP.
>

> I don't have any example for this, sorry.

I do :)

http://et.redhat.com/page/Cobbler_&_Koan_Provisioning_Tools

Cobbler is a simple tool that sets up a provisioning server. It supports
kickstart templating through the "Cheetah" templating language, so all
sorts of magic can be done in the kickstarts.

Cobbler has been approved for FC-Extras, just not built yet, so you'll
have to grab it from the URL above. As a bonus, it can re-provisioning
existing systems (non-bare metal) and can deal with Xen as well.
Kickstart templating works for all three modes -- PXE, re-provisioning
(auto-kickstart), and Xen.

Let me know if you have questions.