Package Refinement

Robert Denton robert at headsprout.com
Tue Sep 26 19:12:56 UTC 2006

Hello all,

Now that I have the kickstart file mostly working how I would like
it, I would like some advice on how to reduce the packages installed
to the bare minimum for what I would like to do (simple webserver -
not exposed to internet). Here are some specific queries:

1. I have noticed that my perl scripts that use LWP will not work
unless I include @development-tools in the package list.  Since the
units I am building will not serve as workstations for development, I
would rather not install that group at all.  I am wondering
specifically what package in that group is providing the LWP
support.  There are a lot of PERL related packages in @development-
tools but they all seem to relate to XML. The page I am relying on
for info is here:

	http://penguin.triumf.ca/comps/fc4/comps-v4-lang-en_US.html

2. "Default, Hidden"  There are two package groups that are listed as
Default, Hidden, which I am wondering if they are installed without
being listed in the packages group.  They are @dialup and @java.
Lets take dialup for example. @dialup includes the following
defaults:  ppp, isdn4k-utils, lrzsz, minicom, statserial, wvdial.
Oddly, everyone of these packages are installed although I did not
specify the group in the packages list.  Thus the 'Default. Hidden'
must indeed override the packeges list.  Is there some reason why my
system would need these files although there is NO modem?

3. I have found a way to list all packages installed, sorted by size
but I would love to redirect the output of the command to a file. My
usual bag of tricks is not working (cat, >, etc). Any suggestions?
Here is the command:

rpm -q -a --qf '%10{SIZE}\t%{NAME}\n' | sort -k1,1n

Thanks for any and all input!!