Package Refinement

Phil Bettinson phb at llgc.org.uk
Wed Sep 27 09:42:22 UTC 2006

Robert Denton wrote:
> I just did a test build with the sample I showed you before, and I
> included:
>
> -@ dialup
> -@ java
>
> The install did not complain, but the files were still installed.  I am
> surprised that the install did not abort or ask for input. In the past
> when I have excluded packages from the packages list I had to add the
> arch (ex: -package_name.i386) or the install would die.
>
> I am surprised you can have something in your packages list that means
> nothing does nothing and there is no complaint from anaconda at all.
> The only packages where I include an entire group are for webserver and
> mailserver, and then I just remove the packages I do not need from them,
> like:
---snip---
> Oddly though there are a bunch of packages that do not seem to be
> related to the groups and are not in my list that get installed. Here
> are some examples of packages that I cannot explain how or why they were
> installed:
>
> specspo (for internationalizing packages)
> aspell
> cracklib-dicts
> xorg-x11-libs (I do not install a gui at all)

These random files are probably being installed as a dependency of
something. xorg-x11-libs could come from anything that requires (or can
use) X. Right now, however, I can't put my finger on anything that
would. I thought aspell would come with vim or mutt or something, but a
quick rpm -qR mutt doesn't appear to agree with me.

Thanks,

Phil

			Phil Bettinson

BEng, RHCT 			Beng, RHCT
Swyddog Gweinyddu Systemau	Systems Administrator

Isadran Cyfrifiaduron        	Computer Section
Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru    National Library of Wales
Aberystwyth, 			Aberystwyth
Ceredigion, 			Ceredigion
SY23 3BU			SY23 3BU

EBost / Email: phb at removethis.llgc.org.uk  We / Web: http://www.llgc.org.uk