Kickstart Tips and Tricks

Callahan, Tom CallahanT at tessco.com
Tue Apr 24 12:36:18 UTC 2007

My favorite use of kickstart is to kick a bare machine, which fits a role
(ie webserver, database server, fileserver ), and then set loose cfengine to
build the rest of the machine. Once configured correctly, I have found
cfengine to be one of the best central management tools around.

Thanks,
Tom Callahan

On 4/23/07 5:47 PM, "Shabazian, Chip" <Chip.Shabazian at bankofamerica.com>
wrote:

> Hi all.  I hope that I've been able to help some of you over the past
> few years as I would now like to call on all of you for help.  I am
> putting together a training for LinuxWorld this August called Kickstart
> Tips and Tricks:
>
> http://linuxworldexpo.com/live/12/events/12SFO07A/conference/tracksessio
> ns//QMONYB000WO8
>
> Although I've had to figure many things out over the past few years, my
> experience pales in comparison to the collective group.  I'd like to ask
> all of you for your help in putting this training together.  I will of
> course make the training materials I develop available to all, and hope
> that this can become a valuable resource (hmmm, maybe I'll setup a Wiki
> at some point).
>
> Here is what I'm looking for:
> * If you were attending this training, what would you like to see
> covered
> * Although you may be well versed in kickstart, what should I cover for
> those not so experienced
> * What other technologies do you use in your provisioning of systems
> (cobbler, mrepo, etc)
> * What "best practices" have you learned
> * What else should I be asking for and presenting
> * And of course, all those wonderful tips and tricks that we have all
> learned over the years
>
> Anything you send may be printed in the workbook that accompanies the
> tutorial, so I need your approval to print it.  If you would like to be
> credited, please provide me with how you want it to appear.
>
> Please email me directly at chip.shabazian at bankofamerica.com
>
> Also, I apologize in advance for the spam.  I'll probably send this out
> a few more times over the next two months since people seem to drop in
> and out of this list so frequently.
>
> Thanks everyone!
>
> Chip Shabazian

-------------------------------
Tom Callahan
TDS Engineering
410-229-1361  Tel
410-588-7605  Mobile
410-229-1512  Fax
callahant at TESSCO.com

TESSCO
Your Total Source for Wireless
http://www.tessco.com

Network Infrastructure Equipment | Mobile Devices & Accessories |
Installation, Test, Equipment & Supplies