Identifying SCSI or IDE drives in %pre

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Apr 3 14:23:07 UTC 2007

Brian Long wrote:
> On 3/29/07, Jason Edgecombe <jason at rampaginggeek.com> wrote:
>>
>> Daniel Segall wrote:
>> > I deploy kickstarts to a number of different configurations. The
>> servers
>> have IDE, SAS, or SCSI drives. My partitioning is always the same, but if
>> it's an IDE server, I do a software raid1. The SCSI & SAS servers have
>> hardware raid1.
>

> I wonder how you will determine IDE or SCSI with Fedora 7 and beyond since
> the new libata causes all devices to be named /dev/sda (even IDE
> drives).  I
> haven't poked around /proc on Fedora 7, but I wonder if the new libata will
> leave hints on which bus the device is using (IDE or SCSI) and you can
> change your logic based on that.

I've been having fun and games on a Debian Testing box here. Very
testing. Change certain BIOS options and the first ATA drive can be hda
(expected), hde or sda. It's not only me that gets confused, When Linux
can't find itself, it panics;-)

I think a Ubuntu box here got a bit schizo too, before I rubbed it out.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait