RHEL3U8 pxe install: no driver for Broadcom NIC?

Doug Rylaarsdam drylaarsdam at verascape.com
Tue Apr 10 01:08:05 UTC 2007

Matt,

I'm not sure of the answer to your question about anaconda. But I have been
able to work around the problem. It turns out that RHEL3 U7 is loading via
network install without any problem. To the best of my knowledge, I've used
the same procedure for setting up my pxe kickstart as with U8 (extracting
the boot kernel and initrd image from the distribution, etc). Since my goal
is just to get some version of RHEL3 loaded (via network install) onto my
new server (SunFire X2100 M2), that has now been accomplished with U7
without any additional driver disk, rebuilding drivers, etc. RHEL3/U7 and
RHEL4/U3 worked without any problems, but I could never get RHEL3/U8 to work
(via network install). I suspect the boot tg3 driver in the boot image, but
operator error is still a possibility.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Doug

  _____