Using Kickstart to deploy Debian servers?

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Fri Aug 31 18:30:57 UTC 2007

Michael DeHaan wrote:
> Daniel Segall wrote:
>> I feel dirty even asking this, but here it goes. I have been tasked
>> with the unlucky job of setting up a deployment solution for Debian
>> servers. I have an existing Kickstart server that I call via altiris
>> (we mostly use blades). Does anyone know if there is a relatively easy
>> way to create a kickstart config for Debian "etch"? I really don't
>> want to setup FAI if I don't have to.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Dan

> Debian has it's own system of answer files that are different from
> kickstart.

Well, actually...  ubuntu isn't debian, but...

https://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/ubuntu/installation-guide/i386/automatic-install.html#kickstart

(I have no personal experience with this.   Most likely this is nowhere
near 'relatively easy' to use with etch yet, but maybe in the future?)

> The kernel options change from "ks=blah" to "auto=true url=blah".
>
> I'm told (user patch, haven't tested) it actually works with "cobbler
> distro add" if you specify "--breed=debian", though you could just as
> easily do this all yourself.
>
> You may also want to look at FAI -- http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/

I think he specifically wanted to avoid that if possible.

-dmc