Installing minimal number of packages

Shabazian, Chip Chip.Shabazian at bankofamerica.com
Tue Aug 21 15:33:14 UTC 2007

Joe,

I feel (and have lived through) your pain.  Our objective was to create
a "core image" that fills 80% - 90% of all non application needs on
build, and we have been quite successful with it, Starting with RHEL
2.1.  With RHEL 5, I have seen more improvements (personally) with
kickstart than with any previous release, going back to RHL 7.0 which is
when I started doing significant work with kickstart.  Many of the
challenges that have existed for years, are now resolved either through
kickstart or other tools.

Some highlights:
You can now specify yum repo's in your command section so that systems
can be built with current releases from a tested stable build
All kickstart tools now use the same UI for package selection (it used
to be three different code bases to maintain)
Ability to have multiple %post sections (thus allowing you to do work in
--no-chroot, then work in a chrooted environment)
Tools such as Revisor make it almost TOO simple to create your own
"single install CD" or live CD with what you want

Anyway, there has been significant work on Red Hat's part to make
improvements to kickstart, and it really shows in RHEL 5.  I for one am
happy to see the progress and can't wait until we can move forward with
RHEL 5 deployments and get off 3 and 4.

I covered the above, and some others in my recent Linuxworld
presentation which you can download at
http://www.shabazian.com/lw2007.pdf