static network configuration ask

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Thu Aug 30 22:11:49 UTC 2007

Kit Stube wrote:
> Cobbler looks cool. Kinda like a front end for pxelinux and isc
> dhcpd?  The problem we have is we don't want to have to look up the
> mac address for a host in order to configure it.   Cobbler seems to
> rely on that.

Nah, you don't :)  At least not in newer versions ...

Starting with 0.6.x (0.6.1 is out today -- I recommend installing that),
you can name a system anything arbitrarily.   If  you know the MAC
address, it helps to use that so we can assign a specific kickstart --
you can also use the ip if you know that instead.   Otherwise you can
pick a specific profile and just assign that to be the "default" for all
PXE booting systems.  You can also use it to create a PXE menu, so you
can walk up to a machine while it's booting, type "menu", and pick what
you want.

> Currently we have our dhcp server on an install network dump anyone
> that netboots on that network to a default pxelinux menu.  That
> default menu allows a person to chose an os to install.  Chosing one
> kicks them into one of several different default kickstart files.   If
> I could get kickstart to ask for static network information like it
> would if I was installing from CD, I would be done.

I should have read further before typing.    Yeah, we can do that :)

The MAC address way of assigning the static info works really really
well though, if you can start doing it.  I like kickstarts to be fully
interactive because I can start them and not have to baby-sit.   Plus
mapping a system to a new profile is as easy as:

cobbler edit --name=<MAC> --profile=<newprofile>

--Michael