[Fwd: f8: install via PXE/NFS problem (mount)]

Joe_Wulf Joe_Wulf at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 7 14:56:37 UTC 2007

Dario,

Your description seems remarkably similar to a problem I've described through
this list before and continue to have.

Questions for you:
-  What is the OS of the system hosting your PXE/kickstart processes?  Is it
   updated and current with patches?
-  How good (what kind) of computer is doing the hosting, how much memory, what
   kind of nic card, what network equipment are you dealing with?
-  What is the hardware you are booting via PXE/kickstart (CPU, 32/64 bit, mem)?
-  Are you booting this system to be kickstarted as a virtual machine or as the
   physical box itself?
-  Can you get a second physically different system to successfully boot via
   kickstart for Fedora 8?
-  What else can you describe of the physical network that might have any bearing
   on this problem?
-  What specifically is the condition you are seeing that ends the kickstart?
   What error message(s) do you see on the console?  What is the gist of the
   output in VC3 and VC4?

>From my own experience I suggest you re-validate your DHCP, DNS, tftp and PXEboot
configuration.  Maybe have a second person independently verify it for you.  I
have done just that myself.

In my current/on-going problem set, my kickstart server is Fedora 7 and updated
nearly daily with patches (I might miss a day here and there).  I'm building a
number of virtual machines on both a Dell XPS 32 bit laptop and also have a Mac
Pro (64 bit with dual quad-cores, 4GB ram) running Win XP 64 bit.  Both have
VMware workstation 6.02 installed.  I'm encountering zero problems with any OS
build via kickstart to the Dell laptop. I'm encountering zero problems manually
building any OS within VMs on the Mac Pro.  Finally, I'm getting zero success
once reaching the NFS mount on the RedHat VMs being built on the Mac.  I'm nearly
stymied with no clue what to do for help myself.

Hopefully these questions will be beneficial to getting your problem resolved.

R,
-Joe Wulf, CISSP, USN(RET)
 Senior IA Engineer
 ProSync Technology Group, LLC