pykickstart1-19-1-f8 (and -18-) does not support CDROM install with onpart=

Floydsmith at aol.com Floydsmith at aol.com
Wed Dec 26 10:37:59 UTC 2007

Using a revisor image from the aftertoon of 12-24-07 I have learned that
(unlike in Fedora 5, 6 and 7) that a very simple kickstart cfg involving
onpart does not work.

First, the following two (which clear the MBR) DO WORK:
# System bootloader configuration
bootloader --location=mbr
# Clear the Master Boot Record
zerombr
# Partition clearing information
clearpart --all --initlabel
autopart
text

# System bootloader configuration
bootloader --location=mbr
# Clear the Master Boot Record
zerombr
# Partition clearing information
clearpart --all --initlabel
part /boot --fstype ext3 --size=100 --ondisk=sda
part pv.1 --size=0 --grow --ondisk=sda
volgroup VolGroup00 --pesize=16384 pv.1
logvol swap --fstype swap --name=LogVol01 --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=512
--grow
--maxsize=512
logvol / --fstype ext3 --name=LogVol00 --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=15000
text

However, none of the many of the cfg(s) which DO NOT CLEAR the MBR DO
NOT WORK. What I normally do is use fdisk to create a pre existing
linux parttition and at least one swap and then use:
# System bootloader configuration
bootloader --location=mbr
# Partition clearing information
clearpart --none
# I have already created a patition of the desired size with type linux
# and a swap partition has already been setup.
part / --fstype=ext3 --onpart=sda1
text

I have tried many variations of this such as providing a size or leaving
some unallocated space on the drive and then using (ondisk=sda) instead.
All attempts result in exactly the same error msg of:
File "/usr/lib/anaconda/kickstart.py, line 295, in parse
log.setHandlersLevel...
KeyError: ''

If something is different in F8 regrading the syntax has changed please let
me know.
The reason I can't use the examples that clear the MBR is I have other
partitions on the disk that I want to preserve.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Floyd,