Couple of questions

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed Dec 5 15:55:45 UTC 2007

Joe_Wulf wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> When kickstarting, in text mode, eventually there is a pair of boxes
> which are displayed; they are labeled  "Dynamic IP" and "Hostname".
> This occurs after the kernel images have been downloaded and booted.
> I've two questions at this point:
>
> -  Is "Dynamic IP"'s message about "Sending request for IP information
> for eth0" soliciting DHCP or DNS for its answer?

DHCP.

> -  Is "Hostname"''s message about "Determining host name and domain
> ..." soliciting its information from DHCP or DNS?

DNS.

..snip...

> Another question is about the various outputs on the other VC's.  Is
> there any method to control their output going to a text log file for
> subsequent review?  Should would be a nice troubleshooting aid.

Remote syslog support is available in FC6 and later, and RHEL5 and later.

syslog=ip:port on the kernel options line.

cobblerd (part of Cobbler) has a daemon to capture this information and
log it, which the data from each kickstarting IP going to a seperate file.

> Once a system has reached %post, I've been successful in echo'ing text
> progress messages to /dev/console.  This shows me progress in all of
> the post processing I do in a upfront visual method.  Only problem is
> that the messages would display and the cursor will drop a line, but
> not begin at the left margin.  I've tried various options with
> escaping tab and newline and carriage return types of characters to
> have the text display at the beginning of the next line.  Any
> suggestions on how to go about doing this in %post?
>
> An example is like this:
>
> text message1
>
>                       text message 2
>
>                                              test message 3

If this is for debugging, just sticking a long "sleep 99999" in your
post section allows you do to anything you want with the shell, and is
IMHO less ugly than relying on printing stuff to the console.