kickstart w/o netconfig in RHEL5

Jason Kohles email at jasonkohles.com
Mon Dec 17 14:10:59 UTC 2007

On Dec 14, 2007, at 11:02 AM, jim Pharis wrote:

> Kickstarters,
>
> We kickstart systems in a quarantined network. Once an
> installation has completed, we move the system to its actual network,
> and then run post-installation scripts to configure the actual network
> and then cfengine the machine. We use a package called netconfig in
> our post-installation scripts to move the system to its permanent
> network just before we do the key exchange w/ our cfengine server.
>
> netconfig appears to be long gone and removed from RHEL5. The
> alternative tool appears to be system-configure-network-tui, but it
> has a
> GUI and requires user interaction. We need a command line tool to
> configure the network interface. Any suggestions for solving this.
> The only
> alternative way I can think of would be to write post-installation
> scripts by hand to edit
> the ifcfg-eth files. Can anybody think of better process/tool?

In addition to system-config-network-tui, there is also a command-line
tool called system-config-network-cmd.  The easiest way to handle this
is to use it to export the configuration, modify the file as required,
then re-import it.  That way you don't even have to worry about where
the files are stored, just let the tools handle the files...

# -e for export
system-config-network-cmd -e > /tmp/network-config

# modify /tmp/network-config as required

# -i = import, -c = clear existing configuration before import, -f
import this file...
system-config-network-cmd -i -c -f /tmp/network-config

--
Jason Kohles, RHCA RHCDS RHCE
email at jasonkohles.com - http://www.jasonkohles.com/