detecting i386 or x86_64 in kickstart

William Anderson wanderso at csl.co.uk
Mon Feb 19 15:29:52 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sunday 18 February 2007 22:24, Binand Sethumadhavan wrote:
>> I know that much... my question was specifically about x86_64 and i686
>> (since I was under the impression that i686 also means a 64-bit
>> processor).
>>
>> I imagine i686 covers a much wider range of CPUs, not all of which are
>> 64-bit?
>
> i686 does not mean 64-bit.  i686 is still 32bit.  It's just a newer family of
> 32bit processors. (newer than i586/i486/i386)

To clarify:

i286 = 80286
i386 = 80386
i486 = 80486
i586 = Pentium
i686 = Pentium Pro, Pentium {II|III|4|M|D} / Celeron {M|D} / Xeon / Core
x86_64 = AMD {Sempron|Athlon64|Opteron} / Pentium {4|D} / Xeon / Core
         running in 64-bit mode

Binand, when you ask "detect" 64-bitness in a kickstart, do you mean in
the initial options to determine a repo to use, or in %pre / %post?  If
the latter, `uname -i` should suffice.

--
William Anderson, Systems Administrator
Concept Systems Ltd. | +44 (0)131 200 4789

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the original recipient or the person responsible for delivering the email to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error, and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete the original.