detecting i386 or x86_64 in kickstart

Jason Edgecombe jason at rampaginggeek.com
Mon Feb 19 21:15:18 UTC 2007

Binand Sethumadhavan wrote:
> On 19/02/07, William Anderson <wanderso at csl.co.uk> wrote:
>> Binand, when you ask "detect" 64-bitness in a kickstart, do you mean in
>> the initial options to determine a repo to use, or in %pre / %post?  If
>> the latter, `uname -i` should suffice.
>
> I didn't ask this question - it was Jason Edgecombe who started this
> thread. I just wanted to extricate myself from the various
> alphanumero-underscoric acronyms when it came to processor
> architectures :)
>
> Binand
To summarize the thread, the final analysis says that the i386/ia_64
logic cannot be done in kickstart and must be done earlier in the boot
process. There was a feature suggestion on the syslinux mailing list
about having a 32bit default vs a 64bit default. Branching in syslinux
looks to be the best option.

Sincerely,
Jason Edgecombe