"pump" times out -- extend a few seconds more?

Ramthun, William William.Ramthun at Level3.com
Tue Feb 27 15:33:49 UTC 2007

Chip - thanks for the help.

What I meant to say is that I am not sure how to use "nicedelay".  Is
this a boot: line option?  I couldn't find any reference on how to use
it.

-Bill

By
> delaying bringing the nic up until enough time has passed that the
> negotiation has taken place, you should then be able to configure the
> nic, get your kickstart file, and be off and running.
>
> Now, I say "supposed" to, because I've never had to use it, and heard
> mixed results from those who have.
>
> Remember, the nic gets completely cycled and needs to renegotiate 3
> times during a build:
>
> at power on
> when getting the kickstart file
> when starting the build
>
> Chip

William
> Sent: Friday, February 23, 2007 12:26 PM
> To: Discussion list about Kickstart
> Subject: RE: "pump" times out -- extend a few seconds more?
>
> I did a cursory search of nicedelay and I don't see how it is
applicable
> for my situation...  Maybe I just don't know how to use it.
>
> Portfast is enabled.
>
> I tried the eth0_ethtool option, but that didn't appear to help.
>
> I thought about placing the ks.cfg files in the initrd, but didn't
> really want to go there.
>
> Thanks

The
> > data center with issues is from an acquired company with older Cisco
> > switches (5 years +).
> >
> > Installing RHEL 3 Update 5
> >
> > The install client accesses the RHEL 3 media server via eth0.  When
> > Anaconda times-out, I can run thru the install setup manually and
> > RHEL3U5 will install over the network.  The problem is the Kickstart
> > config is highly configured and doing a manual install is not really
> an
> > option that I want to consider.
> >
> > What I want is to access the ks.cfg via the network.  Which implies
> that
> > the network needs to "come up" before Anaconda times out.
> >
> > 	OR
> >
> > Read the ks.cfg from the cdrom.  But the cdrom is virually mounted
> over
> > the ILO port and is not accessible like ks=cdrom:/ks.cfg from the
boot

> > prompt.  I don't know what the <cdrom> device is.
> > -Bill

RHEL
> 3
> >
> > > or 4?  If 4, do you have spare NIC's in the box? RHEL 4 enumerates
> the
> >
> > > bus backwards from RHEL 3, so if you have a NIC, it's going to be
> eth0
> >
> > > instead of the onboard...

HP