Kickstart Installation with Altiris

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Tue Jan 16 16:00:10 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 12:56 +0100, KENNEDY VAN DAM Eric wrote:
> Hello everybody.
> First of all, this is my first post. I'm a belgian RHCE. I've worked
> on linux for 7 years now.
>
> My boss asked me to prepare a RedHat Default Installation but this
> should be integrated in the Altiris Deployment Solution which is used
> here.
> My idea is to use the Altiris Server to schedule installations using
> PXE. The installation process would be Kickstart based.
>
> Did someone have any experience about this ?

Kickstart installs via PXE are pretty easy to set up; you need to make
sure that the kernel and initrd from the os/images/pxeboot/ directory
(from the install CD or one of the mirrors) are in the right place on
your PXE server and put your kickstart file in a place where anaconda
can find it (web server, NFS share etc.)

Have a look at cobbler[1] - that should help make the mechanics of a PXE
setup a little simpler.

David

[1] http://cobbler.et.redhat.com/