Sane default kickstarts that understand hard disk differences

Shabazian, Chip Chip.Shabazian at bankofamerica.com
Wed Jan 3 19:27:56 UTC 2007

I've got a great way that I've been doing this for years.  It works for
all types of drives, scsi, ide, even the cciss scsi controllers in HP DL
Servers.

In %pre, I figure out what drives exist in the system, and write out a
partion scheme based on one or two drives:

%pre

# Determine how many drives we have
set $(list-harddrives)
let numd=$#/2
d1=$1
d2=$3

if [ $numd -ge 2 ] ; then
cat << EOF >> /tmp/partinfo
part pv.01 --size=1 --grow --fstype=ext3 --ondisk=$d1
volgroup volgrp01 pv.01
part pv.02 --size=1 --grow --fstype=ext3 --ondisk=$d2
volgroup volgrp02 pv.02
#HOWEVER_YOU_WANT_TO_PARTITION
EOF

else

cat << EOF >> /tmp/partinfo
part pv.01 --size=1 --grow --fstype=ext3 --ondisk=$d1
volgroup volgrp01 pv.01
#HOWEVER_YOU_WANT_TO_PARTITION
EOF

fi

I then %include the partitioning back up in the command section:

%include /tmp/partinfo