modifying fedora core kickstart w/newer kernel

nate kickstart at linuxpowered.net
Wed Jan 10 19:23:42 UTC 2007

Klaus Steden said:

> Hello nate,

hi! thanks for the quick reply!

> This is something I've had to do in my own shop to add third-party
drivers, etc. to basic kernels.

> So here's a quick rundown ...
>
> In order to make the newer kernel work under anaconda, you'll need to replace
> the vmlinuz files that get installed on your boot media (whatever flavour you
> use - CD, USB disk, hard drive) to get your system started. You'll also
have to update any modules it uses (via modules.cgz, as you've correctly
identified), and possibly by modifying netstg2.img (since you're doing a
network-based install).

I believe this is already done, I am using PXE to boot, and verified that
the correct kernel boots, and the new modules are loading.

I was having an issue for a while getting the tg3 driver to work with these
servers (HP DL320G4 and HP DL360G5), but finally fixed it by ditching the
tg3 driver for the bnx2 driver. And got past the network portion of the
install on the physical hardware(as opposed to the
VMware test system). Though the same problem is on the physical
hardware( as expected) anaconda is installing the system to the
ram disk, then runs out of memory and aborts fairly quickly.

I encountered the same sort of condidition when trying to use the
RHEL4 update 4 kernel/modules on RHEL4 update 2 boot disk, though
the RHEL 4 installer is a bit more intelligent it just reported it was out
of space and allowed me to mount the partition by hand and 'try again', but
the fedora installer just goes nuts until system
memory is exausted.

> Here's a page I wrote for the Fedora Wiki describing what I did
(hopefully) in
> detail ... http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/AnacondaExtendingKickstart ...
there's other good stuff in here on Anaconda, too, so you might find what
you
> want.

I checked that out last night, but it seemed geared specifically towards
customizing the kickstart config itself, the config "works" with the
original kernel/image. I think it's an anaconda bug that I've
encountered but I just don't understand why anaconda could possibly care
what kernel is there, given that the drivers are all functioning.

If you have any other ideas I'll happily try them!

hopefully sometime soon I'll be able to get everything on a more
up-to-date system.

thanks

nate