confusion of installation process

Elizabeth.Brosch at thomson.com Elizabeth.Brosch at thomson.com
Thu Jan 11 20:55:16 UTC 2007

Thanks Chip.

-----Original Message-----
From: kickstart-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:kickstart-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Shabazian, Chip
Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2007 3:55 PM
To: Discussion list about Kickstart
Subject: RE: confusion of installation process

The NIC is cycled 3 times, the first is during the PXEBoot process, and
is done by the system.  The second is done by the boot kernel, and is
done to get the kickstart file, the third is to actually build the
system.

Every time, the system reloads the drivers.  This allows using different
NIC's or different IP's for different purposes if necessary.

It is an incredible annoyance when you have to deal with spanning tree,
but there have been options added in later versions that allow delays to
compensate for this.

Chip