backwards NIC's durring install/kickstart

Matt Sturtz rh-kickstart at matthouse.com
Tue Jan 16 20:24:49 UTC 2007

All--

I think this might have been covered in the last few weeks...

I'm installing on Dell 1955 servers and whitebox (Intel motherboard)
servers.  It seems that eth0 becomes eth1 and vice-versa in RHEL-4
update-4 based systems.  It would seem that if I omit my ksdevice kernel
option and my --device option is ks.cfg, that it works (I get a prompt,
choose eth1).  It also seems that kernel 2.6.9-42.0.3 has the same issue,
so it's not limited to only the BOOT kernel.  If I disable the second NIC
in the bios, the first nic is (correctly) eth0.

Was there any fix for this?  Aside from being generally annoying, my
kickstart scripts use the MAC address of eth0 to identify the system, but
since eth0 is now eth1, the system can't find its scripts...

-Matt-