using GRUB

Dan Carpenter error27 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 05:37:04 UTC 2007

On 1/22/07, Brian Peront <brian.peront at coat.com> wrote:
> To all,
>
> We have been using lilo in redhat 9 and we did the following:
>
> image=/kickstart/vmlinuz
>      label=Office-Install
>      initrd=/kickstart/initrd.img
>      append="ks=nfs:hostname:/free/redhat/kickstart/generic.ks.cfg"
>
> For Grub:
>
> I'm trying to do the following,  and it starts to kickstart but doesn't
> find the kick start file.
>
> title Install
>         root (hd0,1)
>         kernel /vmlinuz ro root=LABEL=/kickstart1
>         initrd /initrd.img
>         append ksdevice=eth0 console=tty0 console=ttyS0,38400 \
>         ks=nfs:hostname:/free/FC6/kickstart/generic.ks.cfg
>

> Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong,   it starts to kickstart and
> fails to find the kickstart file.
>
> Thanks
> -Brian Peront

What you're doing looks right.  When it fails give it the ip and path
to the install media.  At that point you can switch to tty2 and cat
/proc/cmdline to make sure you don't have any typos.

When you say it doesn't find the kick start do you mean:
1) it didn't modprobe the ethernet module?
2) it didn't get an ip address from dhcp?
3) it failed to mount the nfs module?
4) the path was wrong?
5) the permisions were wrong and it couldn't read the file?

You should be able to tell a bunch of the information by looking on tty3.

regards,
dan carpenter