FC3 kickstart -> does not recognize cd

Jason Kohles email at jasonkohles.com
Fri Jan 26 14:36:42 UTC 2007

On Jan 25, 2007, at 4:35 PM, John Summerfield wrote:

> Jason Kohles wrote:
>> On Jan 23, 2007, at 6:01 PM, Mathew Rowley wrote:
>>> Im trying to create a FC3 kickstart DVD in FC6, yet, when I
>>> attempt to
>>> boot the CD, anaconda loads and says 'The Fedora Core CD was not
>>> found
>>> in any of your CDROM drives. Please insert the Fedora Core CD
>>> and  press
>>> OK to retry.' I cant figure out what is going wrong... When I
>>> look in
>>> the console i get a few errors...
>>>
>>> <3>FAT: Bogus number of reserved sectors
>>> <6>VFS: Cant find a valid FAT filesystem on dev hdc
>>> <4>VFS: Cant find ext2 filesystem on dev hdc.
>>> <4>Unable to load NLS charset utf8
>>>
>>> I am attempting to boot this on a virtual machine. The only thing
>>> I  can
>>> think is, since im using FC6, I have to use 'createrepo' instead of
>>> 'genhdlist'... Will that create this error?  This is exactly how i
>>> create the cd image.
>>>
>> The fact that you are building the CD on FC6 is irrelevant, to do an
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> I don't think so, the CD/DVD image has to be built with the correct
> version of Anaconda, and that may require the FC3 level Python etc
> etc/

This is true, what I meant was that he was trying to build a custom
FC3 install following the FC6 instructions, because he was using FC6
to build it on.  Building it on FC6 is possible (it's more effort
than it's worth, and in the long run just building an FC3 virtual
machine to use for building the CD is a lot easier), but the point
was that you still have to use the FC3 instructions to build it, even
if you manage to build it on something else...

--
Jason Kohles
email at jasonkohles.com
http://www.jasonkohles.com/
"A witty saying proves nothing."  -- Voltaire