detecting i386 or x86_64 in kickstart

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Jan 26 21:44:13 UTC 2007

Jason Kohles wrote:
> On Jan 25, 2007, at 6:07 PM, Jason Edgecombe wrote:
>
>> John Summerfield wrote:

>>> See /proc/cpuinfo

>>> I'm Doubtful, but try it. What's the cost of a failure?
>>>

>> I figured /proc/cpuinfo would be the ticket, but I have no clue  what
>> to look for. Where can I find the docs for all of the info in /
>> proc/cpuinfo?

Look at what's there, it's fairly obvious.

> 'uname -i' is probably a better option than digging through cpuinfo.

sure:
root at Bandicoot:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : AMD Sempron(tm)   2400+
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 1660.135
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mp mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up ts
bogomips        : 3331.52

root at Bandicoot:~# uname -i
unknown
root at Bandicoot:~#

I don't know _why_ that happens; it was just the first one to hand.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait