Automated generation of installed packages list? (RHEL5)

JB Segal jb at smarterliving.com
Mon Jul 9 17:10:11 UTC 2007

Quoth Jason Edgecombe (jason at rampaginggeek.com):
> JB Segal wrote:
> >A somewhat more than cursory glance at the archives doesn't show the answer to this...
> >At the end of a manually-configured install, where I spent a reasonable amount of time
> >going through the available packages, picking those I wanted, and those I didn't, the only
> >evidence of this left in the anaconda-ks.cfg is the wholly-insubstantial lines
> >%packages
> >@editors
> >
> >and that's IT.
> >
> >A) Would anyone like to guess whether this is a bug, a design lacuna, or a 'feature'?
> >B) Is there any way to generate an appropriate ks.cfg based upon this system?
> >
> >While it seems that the KS docs have been revised and updated for RHEL5, at this hour on
> >a Sunday, I'm not managing to find anything about reverse-engineering a package list, nor
> >anything about why I should ever NEED to do that.
> >
> >Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give,
> run "rpm -qa" on the installed system. That will generate a package list for you.

Yes. Sorry, I was more thinking of something in a default ks.cfg format,
with the groups that are installed, and the modifications to those
groups - for example, with RHEL4, I got the following in the
autogenerated file:

%packages --resolvedeps
@ editors
@ emacs
@ system-tools
@ dialup
@ ftp-server
@ emacs
@ server-cfg
@ development-tools
kernel-smp
-bluez-pin
e2fsprogs
lvm2
-httpd-manual
-distcache
-uucp
-samba-client
-x3270-x11
-php
-cvs
kernel-devel
-rcs
kernel-smp-devel
-xdelta
-valgrind
-valgrind-callgrind

and I was hoping for something more like that. (Actually, it's not
impossible that some number of the '-package' lines were manually
configured by me. I'm not certain anymore... but still, I know the
'@ group' lines WEREN'T, and the fact that RHEL5 doesn't provide those I
figure MUST be a bug.) I'll go digging through bugzilla today to see
what's already been filed...