Automated generation of installed packages list? (RHEL5)

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Jul 11 00:22:51 UTC 2007

JB Segal wrote:
> A somewhat more than cursory glance at the archives doesn't show the
> answer to this...
> At the end of a manually-configured install, where I spent a reasonable
> amount of time
> going through the available packages, picking those I wanted, and those
> I didn't, the only
> evidence of this left in the anaconda-ks.cfg is the wholly-insubstantial
> lines
> %packages
> @editors
>
> and that's IT.

I installed a clone. I don't recall doing much package selection as I
wanted to replicate my package selection from my nahant-clone out of
FC3. My list looks better than my list:

%packages
@admin-tools
@base
@base-x
@core
@dialup
@dns-server
@editors
@ftp-server
@games
@gnome-desktop
@graphical-internet
@graphics
@java
@kde-desktop
@legacy-network-server
@mail-server
@network-server
@news-server
@office
@printing
@server-cfg
@smb-server
@sound-and-video
@text-internet
@web-server

You can patch your list with
   rpm --qa >>anaconda-ks.cfg
similar to Jason's suggestion. It's not as nice as Anaconda's doing it
right, but it should be a satisfactory workaround while RH sorts out the
bug report you're about to file.

For anyone who's intesteded, the Summerfield technique of "upgrading"
the cross-breed involved
1. Preparing a package list on nahant-clone with
	"rpm -qa --qf '%{name}\n' >packages"
2. Installing Tikanga-clone.
3. Configuring yum to install from the install source any other likely
sources of packages such as atrpms.
4. Copying the package list
5. A loop like this:
    cat packages | while read p ; do yum -y install ${p};done
which ran for quite some time and, to my delight, picked up such
essentials as PINE.
6. Cloning users and groups from nahant-clone.
7. Copying /home

--

Cheers
John