Using variables in kickstart file

Gabrie thegabeman at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 09:55:02 UTC 2007

Hi

I'm going to install about 20 servers, which will be identical apart
from hostname and IP address. To make changes in all ks files easier,
I would like to start using one central batch file, that is being
called from the ks.cfg file. Therefore I would like to use 2 variables
containing IP and hostname.

Ideally it would be something like this:

### Begin ks020.cfg
VAR-IP = 10.0.0.20
VAR-HOST = vmesx020.mydomain.com

<snip>

network --device eth0 --bootproto static --ip $VAR-IP --netmask
255.255.255.0 -gateway 10.0.0.254 --hostname $VAR-HOST

<snip>

%post
# download central script
lwp-download http://10.0.0.1/scripts/central.cfg /tmp/central.cfg

perl /tmp/central.cfg $VAR-IP $VAR-HOST

### End ks020.cfg

In the central.cfg I would then be able to read the VAR-IP and
VAR-HOST and use it for other configuration stuff.

Who can tell me how to use variables in this way? I have the feeling
there also is a difference between a variable in the first section
(network section) and the post section????

Gabrie