How to setup a kickstart server in Fedora 7

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Mon Jul 30 15:55:05 UTC 2007

Joe_Wulf wrote:
> I've been attempting to use my notes for establishing a kickstart
> server, yet within Fedora 7 I'm not finding
> so of what I am used to seeing---must be ignorance on my part.  I
> don't see the xinetd.d (maybe don't
> need it) but I also don't see where/how to get tftp up and running.

yum install cobbler ?  :)

There's really not a compelling reason for setting this up and
maintaining all of this manually if you don't have to.

> Also, my small network has a Linksys router that normally serves of
> DHCP, will I have to disable that
> to get no dhcp server conflicts with the Fedora7 kickstart server?
You can edit your DHCP configuration on your router (if doable) to point
to your TFTP server -- running
a second DHCP server on the TFTP server is not required.

This is the "next-server" parameter in ISC dhcp.

> While I'm at it, do you know of any other gotcha's for employing
> Fedora 7 as a kickstart server?

Nope :)