Excluding RPMs fails?

Jason Edgecombe jason at rampaginggeek.com
Sat Jun 2 12:45:05 UTC 2007

xxxxxx xxxxx wrote:
>> Is there any reason you can't do a network-based install using PXE, USB or
>>

>> grub boot from the hard drive? Is the target system networked?
>>

> Well, the target system is a Cobalt RAQ. They do not have a VGA card or
> CDROM drive... They can boot from an NFS mount however... using DHCP... Is
> there a way kickstart can handle that?
>
> Otherwise, what are my options...?

hmmm,

If you can get them to PXE boot, then that would be best. Otherwise, if
you have to make the Raq somehow boot the vmlinuz and initrd files from
the isolinux folder on the first cdrom.

For example, I do remote hands-off installs without PXE on older linux
boxes by copying the vmlinuz and initrd files from the cd to the /boot
partition and then I copy a grub.conf file to /boot which has the new
vmlinuz and initrd as the default boot option and then I reboot. The
grub file includes the ks option to pull my kickstart file from the web,
which installs from an NFS server.

in your case, I would recommend the vnc option in your kickstart file so
you can watch the install remotely.
https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/Installation_Guide-en-US/s1-kickstart2-options.html

The main goal is just to get the Raq to somehow boot the vmlinuz &
initrd that is copied from the cdrom. This could be via PXE or you can
copy the files to the hard drive. If you have an ext2/3 partition on the
Raq hard drive and can copy those two files and install grub, then you
should be good to go.

Does that make sense?

Jason