Any idea how to avoid formatting my USB drive?

Alasdair Young ayoung at vigilos.com
Thu Jun 14 17:44:02 UTC 2007

Hi.

I am trying to set up an automatic install of FC6 using kickstart. I
have a bootable USB stick with a syslinux.cfg file that points to a
kickstart file located on a central server (via http).

Everything works well and is completely automated, however I cannot seem
to work out how to stop the install from wanting to format my USB stick.

I have tried removing "--all" from the clearpart command below, or even
just changing it to "--linux" without any luck.I've searched google, but
I can't find any discussion of the issue.

Is there any way to specify a drive that should NOT be formatted, or any
other way to work around this problem?

Kind regards,

- alasdair

I have the following kickstart file:

install
url --url http://pxe/fedora/6/i386/core/os
skipx
text

lang en_US.UTF-8
keyboard us
network --device eth0 --bootproto static --ip=10.22.22.1
--netmask=255.255.255.0
network --device eth1 --bootproto dhcp
rootpw --iscrypted (**whatever**)
firewall --enabled --port=22:tcp
authconfig --enableshadow --enablemd5
selinux --disabled
timezone --utc GMT
bootloader --location=mbr --driveorder=hda

clearpart --all --drives=hda
part /boot --fstype ext3 --size=100 --ondisk=hda
part pv.7 --size=0 --grow --ondisk=hda
volgroup VolGroup00 --pesize=32768 pv.7
logvol / --fstype ext3 --name=LogVol00 --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=1024
--grow
logvol swap --fstype swap --name=LogVol01 --vgname=VolGroup00
--size=1000 --grow --maxsize=1984

%packages
@base

%post
// various things here that are irrelevant.