Setting environment variable

Binand Sethumadhavan binand at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 13:02:53 UTC 2007

On 29/03/07, Bob Huisman <Bob.Huisman at filterworks.com> wrote:
> I have been thinking about making a package which sets some of the
> environment variables, and have that installed too, but I understood
> that the order of installation of packages is not always the same...

You can control the order of installation by making your
environment-setting package as a dependency for the other packages.

> As the system has just been installed, there are no pre-set environment
> variables which can be used. I was wondering whether and how it is
> possible to set an environment variable before installation of any
> custom packages?

I'd create a file in /etc/sysconfig for my custom environment (via a
separate package or by just echo whatever > /etc/sysconfig/myenviron),
and source that file in the %pre section of my specfile.

Binand