FC6 - How to update packages on kickstart server

kickstart kickstart at hastek.net
Thu May 10 19:17:30 UTC 2007

Eric Sorenson:
> Actually mrepo (wonderful though it is) does not actually do what the
> original poster wants.
> He wants to take the RPMS from the cds and overlay downloaded updates
> to build a new install tree. Ethan McCallam's 'novi' does this:
> http://www.exmachinatech.net/01/novi/

Precisely. Which is why I mentioned novi earlier today:)

What I am doing (an extension of the suggestion in the OReilly book
by Ethan McCallum which I also mentioned) is to 1) fetch updates
from multiple external repos into subdirectories of a new
("pre-patch") tree of your base OS, the then 2) run novi on these
leaving the new prepatched tree with the latest RPMs. You'd then
point new kickstarts at this prepatched tree.

Of course, some testing would be in order every time you do a major
upgrade to make sure nothing's suddenly broken.

In my case I'm using CentOS44 so I also have genhdlist running in my
automation scripts..

It has worked quite well so far..

-Harold