Unable to get any http requests: Unable toretreive netstg2.imgfile

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu May 17 22:35:53 UTC 2007

SSTinsley at upsfreight.com wrote:
> kickstart-list-bounces at redhat.com wrote on 05/16/2007 08:28:48 PM:
>
>> The reason you can get an IP and PXEboot is because the NIC is up for
>> more than 30 seconds, which gives the switch time to negotiate with the
>> NIC and turn up the port.  When anaconda starts, it recycles the NIC (to
>> load the driver).  If you have portfast issues, anaconda will timeout
>> before your switch makes the port live.
>>
>> Ananacoda will also recycle the NIC one more time after it gets the
>> ks.cfg, but that one never causes portfast timeout issues.
>>

> I here what your saying. I took your suggestion to the network guys and
> they confirmed the
> switch is configured correctly. So short of calling them liars, I am
> pretty much at a
> standstill and have to go with the ks.cfg on CDROM.

You don't have to call them rude names, and if you asked, "Is your
switch configured properly?" then of course it is,  but if you can
explain "we have a problem, is there something we can try to get around
it?" the response might be more accommodating.

"Can we change timeouts?" It might be increasing the time before
something times out won't have any effect in the ordinary course of
events, but help in your case.

'Can we ...?"

There's never only one correct configuration for anything
computer-related, and if there's something not working there may be
improvements available.