Kickstart via PXE/NFS

Chris Edillon jce at zot.com
Wed May 16 06:02:14 UTC 2007

SSTinsley at upsfreight.com wrote:

> I have now tried the install by using DHCP and fixed IP address. I would
> hope that
> assigning the IP with kernel arguments through the pxelinux cfg would
> work. Assuming
> it does, the only other common error is related to DNS. I do not have
> DNS available
> on this private install net. Does Anaconda require DNS for a completely
> hands-off
> install?

   dns should only be required if you use hostnames instead of
ip addresses when referencing your ks.cfg and media locations.
that being said, i've seen problems where i used ip addreses,
dns was available and configured for the kickstart environment
by DHCP, and the reverse entry for the ip address did not
match the forward address.  in that case, the kickstart barfed,
but i remember it clearly indicated that it had made a reverse
lookup successfully but that there was a mismatch.

   as others have mentioned, i've seen the portfast problem come
up before with cisco equipment as well, so definitely check
with your network guys.

HTH,
  chris