Unable to get any http requests: Unabletoretreive netstg2.imgfile

Mukarram Syed muksyed at stanford.edu
Wed May 16 23:15:34 UTC 2007

Hi John,

Anaconda depends on DHCP even if you use static IPs.

I have made some progress on this...

I have posted this on the group but here it is for you anyways (it's rather
long):

I did what Kennedy suggested.  Thanks much.

Connected the KVM and did the Alt-F commands.

What I found is this:

"

getting kickstart file

looking for first netDev with link

eth0 has link, using it

doing kickstart...setting it up

waiting for link...

4 seconds

no DNS servers, can't look up hostname

ks location: http://171.67.39.130/ENT_LINUX_64/Enterprise/ks.cfg

transferring http://171.67.39.130//./ENT_LINUX_64/Enterprise/ks.cfg to a fd

failed to retrieve http://171.67.39.130///ENT_LINUX_64/Enterprise/ks.cfg

trying to mount CD device hda

"

As I said before, I could retrieve all the above http links from another
system on the same subnet as my kickstart install server and the client.

After which I modified my default file to the following:

label 1

  kernel ENT_LINUX_64/vmlinuz

  append nofb initrd=ENT_LINUX_64/initrd.img ramdisk_size=10000 lang=
devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=9216 ksdevice=link ip=171.67.39.139
netmask=255.255.255.224 gateway=171.67.39.129 dns=171.64.7.77
ks=http://171.67.39.130/ENT_LINUX_64/Enterprise/ks.cfg

I put the dns= entry in there.

The I get the following:

"

Adding 171.64.7.77

dnsserver is 171.64.7.77

doing kickstart...setting it up

waiting for link

4 seconds

reverse name lookup failed

ks location: http://171.67.39.130/ENT_LINUX_64/Enterprise/ks.cfg

transferring http://171.67.39.130//./ENT_LINUX_64/Enterprise/ks.cfg to a fd

failed to retrieve http://171.67.39.130///ENT_LINUX_64/Enterprise/ks.cfg

trying to mount CD device had

"

Here is the network information from my ks.cfg file:

#Network information

network --device=eth0 --bootproto=static --ip=171.67.39.130
--netmask=255.255.255.224 --gateway=171.67.39.129 --nameserver=171.64.7.77
--hostname=as-kickball.stanford.edu

The hostname is invalid.  It's a bogus name.  I'll try to make it a valid
name and check it out.

Should there be a hostname in the default file as well since I am using
static IP?

I think I am getting close here.  Something else is missing for the reverse
lookup to work.

Suggestions would be helpful at this point.

Thanks

-Mukarram.